Friday, February 16, 2007

Change that Gamma and White Point

OK, I'm aware that Macs and PCs have different gamma and white point settings. That's why I mess with images and photos in Fireworks or Photoshop on my Windows PC. It took this post from Don MacAskill's Smugblog to get me off my ass and into the system settings of my Mac computers. To summarize: If there's even a remote possibility that people will view your images on monitors attached to Windows machines, change your gamma to 2.2 and your white point to D65 before you do any editing. From a subjective viewpoint, and my vision is questionable, the MacBook looks a bit better with the gamma at 2.2. It looked a tad washed-out with the gamma set at the Mac standard 1.8. Now I can do web pages and edit photos on the Mac with the comforting knowledge that they should look approximately the same on a PC.
Loading...